I found a new job, a side-hustle of sorts, and I’d love for you to join me. It’s a global business with lots of openings, and you can do it right alongside your current work. The benefits are (quite literally) out of this world.
I learned of this job when reading in the Scriptures. I was reading about a temple being built. A temple where God would dwell. A temple from which God would work. And what might He do there, you may ask?
” I will hand out wholeness,” God says.
Haggai 2:9 (Message)
Hand out wholeness. That could be God’s complete job description, don’t you think? It’s what God does from wherever God dwells.
I picture Jesus when he walked among us, handing out wholeness all the day long. Feeding the hungry, blessing the child, touching the leper, defending the destitute, offering forgiveness, hope, and help. It’s what he did from where he dwelt.
Well guess what friend? God’s still at it, but now it’s you and me that are the temple from which He sets up shop. And God’s job description becomes ours as well.
“You realize, don’t you, that you are the temple of God, and God himself is present in you?” Paul asks.
1 Corinthians 3:16 (Message)
We are the place God’s spirit dwells, which means we are the place from which she hands out wholeness. She hands it to us and she hands it through us.
I think of Jesus’ disciples, Peter and John, who were stopped by a lame man begging. “I don’t have a nickel to my name,” Peter told him, “but what I do have, I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk!” (Acts 3).
They handed out wholeness.
It’s the work of the Spirit of God and the work of the church, and the work of our hands each day.
Wholeness is Shalom:
- Soundness of mind, body, spirit
- Harmony with God, self, others
And God is handing it out!
Hebrews 4:16 comes to mind:”Let’s walk right up to [God] and get what he is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help, an appropriate blessing, coming just at the right moment” (Message/Amplified).
Let’s take what God’s giving! And goodness gracious, friend, let’s give what God’s giving as well – handouts of wholeness resulting in harmony, healing and hope.
I can see us now, standing on the street corner, peddling peace. “Step right up! Don’t be shy! Git yer wholeness here??!”
Peddle Peace or Hand out Wholeness: Our job, and our Little Life Words of the week.
- Ponder your main job description as that of handing out wholeness. How might this reframe what you do or how you do it?
- What hinders you in “stepping right up” to take a hand out from God?
- Partner with God by peddling peace. Work for or donate to that which results in greater harmony, healing or hope in our world (and remember this often begins at home).
- Our song of the week is: We are the World (sung by the cutest and most talented bunch of kids from Clarksville Elementary).
- Heal me and make me whole.